Eye Health and Diseases Specialist Prof. Dr. Tayfun Bavbek said, ‘Especially if you have an eye allergy, it is very important to pay attention to your eye health during the period from March to September, namely in the spring and summer months. Eye allergy, also known as allergic conjunctivitis, is a quite common condition. It’s worth noting that eye allergy, which presents with similar symptoms in both adults and children, is not contagious.
Eye allergy season has arrived. Especially if you have allergies to pollen and dusty environments, you need to pay more attention to your eye health than usual during the spring and summer months when your allergy is constantly triggered. So, what triggers eye allergies? Eye allergies can be caused by pet dander, dust, pollen, smoke, perfume, and even occasionally by certain foods.
Since eye allergy is a chronic condition, it has a recurring cycle during certain periods.
Prof. Dr. Tayfun Bavbek, highlighting that allergic reactions can intensify when the cause of eye allergy is not identified, said, ‘Eye allergy is a chronic condition. It has a recurring cycle during certain periods. Individuals with eye allergies may also experience nasal allergies. Although symptoms such as itching, congestion, and sneezing of the nose may occur, this is generally a temporary process related to seasonal allergies. The most common symptoms of eye allergy are redness, swelling, itching, burning, watering, and sensitivity to light in the eyes.
Bavbek, stating that eye drops are the most successful method used in the treatment of this process, said, ‘Individuals with eye allergies should use drops about 4 times a day as soon as their discomfort begins to increase. In very severe cases, our clients may need to use cortisone. However, due to its many side effects, individuals should not use this medication on their own. It needs to be used under the close supervision and control of an eye doctor. The important point here is that these types of medications only eliminate the symptoms… Since eye allergy is a chronic condition, it can recur and intensify during certain periods.
What should be considered in eye allergies?
- If you are allergic to pollen, try to avoid going outdoors during times when the amount of pollen in the air is at its highest.
- Especially during the summer months, do not go outside without your glasses and hat.
- Keep the windows in your home and car closed and use air conditioning. This way, you can lower your level of exposure to pollen and other irritants indoors.
- It is very important for people with allergic constitutions to have the air conditioners they use in their homes checked and cleaned at regular intervals.
- Moldy environments are another factor that triggers eye allergies. Therefore, clean areas with high humidity like basements, bathrooms, and kitchens frequently. You can make the environment more suitable for your eye health with dehumidifying devices.
- Definitely use hypoallergenic bedding sets in your bedroom.
- If your eye allergy is triggered by cat or dog fur, try to keep your pets outside the house as much as possible.
- When your eye allergy starts, never rub your eyes. Otherwise, you will increase the irritation. At this point, the only thing you need to do is to use the eye drops prescribed by your eye doctor.